Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Well, maybe I am getting a little lazy in updating my blog, but so be it.

Going back a bit, last Thursday and Friday went to the "Concerts for the New Milenium" in Santiago.  Great outdoor venue a easy 10 minute bus trip from town and festive atmosphere both nights with nearly 30,000 in attendance.  Starting off on Thursday was none other than Iggy Pop.  I don´t think the guy has any shirts and no one has told him that hes some 50+ years old.  He was playing the rock star from start to finish, and for it still being light and only third from the top of the list, it was pretty impressive.  Not to familiar with his stuff, but he did play "Dont wanna be a dog" twice.  Was hoping for a bit of lust for life, but no dice.  Next up Massive Attack.  Took the stage with an cast of about 6 and an ANGEL amongst them.  With the singers always coming and going, they delivered some KARMACOMA to keep the crowd SAFE FROM HARM.  The INTERIA CREEPS but couldnt stop the HYMN OF THE BIG WHEEL from crashing into the MEZZAINE, resulting a few TEARDROPs.  All was well, though, as the RISINGSON brought PROTECTION, but the UNFINISHED SYMPHONY was never completed.  Among others.  All in all, fabulous show with top-notch lightening and effects.  The Chemical Brothers took the stage around half 12, and said, "HEY BOY, HEY GIRL, you're gonna be UNDER THE INFLUENCE of some BLOCK ROCKING BEATS, so, we hope you´ve GOT GLINT, but either way, IT DOESN'T MATTER cuz were just gonna LET FOREVER BE.  Not as up to date on my hermanos tunes, and they played a good deal more new stuff than did massive attack.  Again, the crowd, mostly 16-23 year olds it appeared, was loving it and the presentation was excellent.  Not to mention the insane volume.  Alrite, overall, I´d give the show 8 of 10.  Could have used a bit more MA and a bit more passion from the brothers. 

Day 2.  Didnt bother showing up for the first few bands as it was a bit toasty.  Lou Reed, taking the place of David Bowie, played the role of sub-headliner.  Again, dont know much of his music, but it was a quality show, a bit more laid back the IP of course.  And I got what I came for, as he left us with a PERFECT DAY.  Taking the top bill was The Cure.  And they played....and played...and played.  A full 3 encore performances, during the last of which they were playing a mellow song and I just wanted it to end, as it was now after 3am.  Delivered a good mix covering most of the hits from Galore and about half their new album.  Great show, well worth it, but unless MA, this one dragged on.

Next day was off to Salamanca to camp and chill out for a few after the run Santiago to Pamplona and from the bulls and back to Santiago.  The town has the oldest university in Spain, going back to the 13th Century.  The landscape in this part of the country is flat, rolling hills, and mostly farmland, not to mention dry and hot in the summer.  The plan was to rent a bike and make a 43km loop around the area.  Nice plan it seemed, but the rental bike wasnt too comfortable.  Anyway, no bother, set out Sunday morning.  Got about 4km from town and the chain had derailed 3 times already, and the pedal had developed a regular clicking sound.  Stopped to check things out, and the bolt holding in the left pedel was coming loose.  A local stopped on his way by, and offered to help me get it fixed in the town 2k ahead.  Nice.  Found a farmer, tightened it up, and set off again with a guide to keep me from losing myself.  Until 3k more down the road it was loose again.  Worthless.  Sometimes ya get what ya pay for, other times you get a whole lot less.  Like this time.  The local assured me I couldnt make it and should set back, but that defeats the purpose I figured.  Told him I´d be alrite, and he set off.  Clunked my way through another 3k or so to the 13k point.  Couldnt go any further.  The lack of ability to use the left pedal more than a touch combined with the threat of soon having no left pedal forced me back.  By the time I got back to town there was no way I was taking the bike back to the campsite, 4k on teh other side, so I locked it outside the shop and left it for the night. 

Not much else eventful, as I was starting to feel a bit ill, so just chilled out at the campsite pool.  Came to Madrid on Monday, and the illness took on a whole new life.  I´ve got strep throat or something evil like that.  My throat is about 35% swollen on each side, leaving only a meager 30% for the essential things like breathing, eating, and drinking.  And without 800mg of IB every 6 hours, I´m a hurting unit.  But the European medical system (hopefully) came in handy enough.  I had no intention of paying 100€ to see a doctor, as even taking the time to do it is hurdle enough, without any money involved.  So I went to a pharmacy and managed to communicate my symptoms and assure them that only antibiotics would do.  So I walked away with some drugs for a mere 4€.  Now only if they´ll start doing some damage to my affliction.

Needless to say, Madrid has been a bit quieter than expected.  Spending the days seeing the sights and all, and just laying low at night.  Will be out of here Thursday or Friday heading down south.